Saturday, November 12, 2011

Loi Krathong

Time continues to fly by, and with the changing of months to November, the festival of Loi Krathong came to Thailand. You'll remember that the last festival I attended was Boat Racing in Laos, so I was eager to make some new, more pleasant memories at this new celebration. It is a celebration that involves releasing paper lanterns into the sky, and floating smaller offerings (krathongs) down the river. Often Thais will include a piece of themselves (hair, a nail, etc.) to symbolize getting rid of the bad parts of themselves and to receive good luck from the water gods/spirits (thank you, Wikipedia...). While I did not participate in the floating of these little receptacles down the river, I did release some larger lanterns with the other girls and went into town to experience this unique opportunity. Two of our lanterns met with unfortunate fates (we're farangs -foreigners - and Loi Krathong newbies, what can I say) but we did have one successful attempt!

Seeing the lanterns in the sky was absolutely beautiful. What a gorgeous sight. It made me think of the spiritual darkness that has a hold of this country, and how ironic that their festival features this concept of light. These little bits of light that filled up the sky though are so symbolic - the truth that we know and believe in as followers of Christ is being spread throughout this land! In Matthew 5 it talks about this..."You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Loi Krathong draws quite a crowd
Parade
Random people releasing a lantern
I wish I was able to get good pictures to capture the beauty of this, but no matter what setting I tried I just couldn't do it...google image it or something to see it better! It really is beautiful.
Releasing lanterns on our street.

As I sat by the river's edge and watched people as they placed their krathongs in the water, I had Chris Tomlin's song, God of this city, playing in my head. "Greater things are yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city." God is at work in Thailand, just as he is present and working in the lives of all his people around the world. I am so glad and grateful that my hope is found in that truth. 
Floating krathongs...they contain flowers, candles, etc.
Another part of this festival is the fireworks. Everyone has started to sell fireworks - including the lady at the drink stand where I regularly get my iced coffee! Fireworks are everywhere, and are sold to anyone, little boys are given lighters and run off to have fun...I asked my friend Nikki if there were any restrictions on the sales of these dangerous explosives, and she shook her head and said "welcome to Thailand." That is usually her response when I ask questions like that. 
Explosives for sale. The best part was various establishments, restaurants, had signs above their doors..."No fireworks allowed inside." At least they have some common sense.
Fireworks on my street! I may or may not have been a part of that.
I'm glad I was able to be here to see Loi Krathong. It was a unique experience, and one that I will always remember. My time in Thailand continues to be a huge learning experience, far richer than I could have anticipated, and containing more blessings and challenges than I ever knew I could experience here. 

Things you can pray for this week: the safe travels and God's blessing on my time with my friend Em, who arrives in Chiang Mai Monday morning! I cannot wait to see a friend from home and be able to share all of this with her. Continue to pray for the health and protection of the children, that God would use us, their caregivers, to pour out His love on them. 

Knowing that I have so many people's love and support and prayers back home has made all the difference. Thank you for the blessing you have been to me, I look forward to seeing my dear family and friends in less than 2 months!

1 comment:

  1. Those lanterns in the sky remind me of Tangled! Love you roomie :)

    ReplyDelete