Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Challenges, Blessings & Everything in Between

Contrary to what may have crossed your mind, I am still alive over here! My apologies for the delay in blog posts...I feel like that commercial, "life comes at you fast." I've had internet issues as well as a host of other challenges the past few weeks, but instead of dwelling on the past, I am moving ahead to the future. I let myself get really discouraged and lose sight of my reason for being here, and when that happens, life gets ugly really fast (kind of like how I get grouchy if I don't work out consistently). 

I never could have anticipated the challenges and frustrations that would face me here. As I always remind myself, nothing worthwhile is ever easy. In the past couple of weeks, I had no internet for a time, I caught a flu bug and was sick in bed for several days, all the pictures from my camera were deleted, I continued to struggle with the communication barrier, and in general was a bit of a grouch. When God sends challenges there is always a reason, and through these frustrations I have learned more about God and my need to rely on Him. Through it all, my biggest frustration was always with myself, for reasons that are hard to explain.

In the midst of challenges, God always sends blessings...and for me, most of the time those blessings are people. When I returned to Agape after a 4 day absence from being sick, I sat down to join the circle for morning devotions, and a little 18 month old boy wrapped his chubby little arms around my neck and planted a kiss on my cheek. If that doesn't make you feel loved and appreciated, I don't know what does! I have also gained numerous housemates/roommates, so it's nice to have company again. God's timing is always perfect, whenever you need a lift, it comes just in time! My roommate arrived from Denmark with all 10 seasons of Friends, so I knew that we would get along just fine. My other roommates are from Brazil and Australia, so we are truly a multi-cultural house of girls!

There is a constant tension within me of wanting to be here and yet longing to be at home as well. It's strange to me how you can feel two opposing things so strongly. I miss journeying through life with my family and friends, and have an irrational fear that people will forget about me. Yet I know, I KNOW, that God has me here for a reason and I need to remember that He is faithful. I have already grown and learned so much while I'm here, about myself, people, love, and God's character and His deep, deep love for his children, young & old. 

Please continue to pray for my attitude and that I would continue to bless others with a servant's heart, for contentment to just BE in this season of life, for continued safety and protection, and of course, for health and blessings on the children. Be blessed today, dear family and friends!











No comments:

Post a Comment