Friday, August 26, 2011

Agape.

Coming to serve at Agape Home has been something I've always wanted to do, and despite the culture shock, language barrier, and other challenges, there is still no where else I would rather be. There are times when I feel guilty over not pursuing a nursing position immediately out of school, but in a way, I am still practicing nursing. Because isn't nursing all about taking care of people's physical needs and in doing so, helping to meet their emotional needs as well? They all tie in together. Nursing, to me, is about helping people find healing - from brokenness and sickness of body, mind, spirit. So in helping to care for these little children's needs, I feel a greater purpose. I may not have much to offer, but I can offer these kids my love and care, and I can't help but think that this simple offering is part of God's purpose for my life right now.

I've been listening to JJ Heller a lot recently, and the following lyric sums up this feeling:
"It's the little things that make a difference, it's the little things that show love. We are all related children of the King, we may not have much, but what we have we bring"
Last night I was on a run and looked up to see a rainbow in the sky - if only I had my camera with me! It was a beautiful sight and the people around me seemed to be enjoying it as well. Exercising seems to bring people together, and I love to greet the people around me as I run in circles - Thai people are so gracious, they always smile and greet me in return. The rainbow was a wonderful reminder to me of God's faithfulness. Despite the moments where I have felt frustrated, alone, and confused, I KNOW that my God has not abandoned me and has his hand over my time here. 

These children have already worked their way deep into my heart, and I thought the other day how "journeying to agape" isn't about just traveling to a physical location. Agape means unconditional love, and the journey toward that kind of love is lifelong. These little ones have already taught me so much about what it means to accept someone with no stipulations. I feel like I have so much to learn from them and everyone else here, I only hope that I am half as much a blessing to them as everyone has already been to me.

1 comment:

  1. Jess, just so you know, you are THAT much of a blessing to your family and friends in the states. I can also say with certainty, despite not knowing the children around you, that you are THAT much of blessing to them as well. Just being there with your open lap and open heart shows them love that they need and in turn makes you a life blessing to them. :)

    ReplyDelete