My apologies for not updating sooner...I've been having some technical difficulties with my computer and have been relying on the generosity of others in order to access the internet. Many thanks to my friend Nikki who is loaning me her computer until my computer issues get resolved. I am so glad to be back in touch with all of my friends and family back home! Thank you all for your support and prayers, it really does mean so much to me.
I thought it might be helpful to tell you what I do on a typical day at Agape. I am on shift at Agape from 8-5 on T, W, Th, Sat, and Sun, and my days off are M & F. I spend my days looking after 5 little ones in the nursery, ages 11-18 months. This is the perfect age group for me to work with since language skills aren't as needed yet...I've picked up a few essential words though, such as "sit down (nang long)," "snack (kanome)" and others. I've pretty much picked up the routine by now, so when I get there I sit in on morning devotions with all of the kids & nannies. My favorite part of this time is when the 4-6 year olds play their own "instruments" (whistles and such) during the songs, or when they sit there with their eyes closed during worship, then peak to see if anyone notices them!
After that, it's time for kanomes (snacks) & play time in the nursery. There's lots of toys and other things to keep the kids occupied, and before long, its time to eat - rice cereal. Yum yum! With their bellies full of rice and their diapers changed, its time for naps. There's nothing quite as peaceful as a sleeping child! It gives the nannies and myself a little rest, during which we eat lunch and inevitably occupy the one child who doesn't feel like taking a nap. The afternoon is filled with more playtime, outside if it isn't raining, a video later in the afternoon, and lots of laughter, smiles, and cuddle time throughout the day.
After work, I go home and attempt to run or do pilates although this usually doesn't happen very often. The first time I ran here, I only made it 15 minutes before I was dripping with sweat and having issues breathing. I'm now up to 30 minutes, but my workouts are far less frequent than they were before. With the food here too, I'm thinking that my plan of losing a few pounds is going to backfire and go the other way...oh well. =) After a workout (or no workout, depends on my mood!) I make dinner and read or do whatever, go to bed & repeat.
There are some days that I go to Vieng Ping, the government orphanage, but I'll write more about that another time. I like the simplicity of my life here...it's a nice change of pace from the rushed pattern of life back in the states. My days are interspersed with outings with my friend Nikki, and other things, but that's essentially what I do on a daily basis. My main job here is to love the kids, and I really enjoy doing that and being a part of their lives. It's a privilege and an honor to be able to have this opportunity and I'm so grateful and excited to see what else God has in store for my time here.
Until next time!
| This way to Agape! |
| Time for kanomes (snack time) |
| Rocking away on air/racket guitar |
| Love this little miss! |
| Gorgeous. |
| Often kids have more fun with what the toy comes in, then the actual toy itself! |
| "Talk in a bucket" day |
| Just doing a little repair work on their wheels...you know. =) |
| What a little gentleman to give her a ride! |
| Story time |
| View out of the nursery |
| And it continues to rain... |
Those kids are precious! How could anyone give them up! If you don't adopt one, I just might have to!
ReplyDeleteI love the kid with the "guitar." He's a cutie. Also, I want to come for talk in a bucket day! Let me know when the next one is. I'm sure it's hard to schedule in between fort-building and badminton and such.
ReplyDelete-Mina