Monday, August 1, 2011

Sa-wad-dee-kar (Hello)!

That is about the extent of my Thai speaking abilities...and even that is probably grossly misspelled! I recognize some phrases but am usually hesitant to use them for fear of butchering the tones and offending someone. Lucky for me, the people I interact with on a daily basis are mostly under the age of 18 months! Nonverbal communication works just as well with them, and the Thai nannies are good about helping me with basic phrases such as "sit down," "snack," "do you want this?" or other useful things. I am sure I am a source of entertainment, as my facial expressions always seem to make them laugh whenever I attempt to pronounce something! Before I came I said that I would just smile at people and hopefully that wouldn't offend anyone. This policy seems to work pretty well, as the Thai people are incredibly kind, welcoming and gracious. 

Just when I told people that it hadn't rained a lot since I've been here, it has started to rain this week...and despite brief respites, it really hasn't stopped! It is supposed to rain all week...welcome to rainy season in Thailand! This has been interesting, as I bike to Agape...good thing most of my pants dry quickly! I love biking here though...it was a bit nerve-wracking at first, as cars and motorbikes travel fast and not always on their side of the road. I rode to the grocery store the other day with the other girls in the house, crossing busy roads, where we literally ran across the street to get to where we needed to go. Apparently sidewalks have not been invented in this part of the country yet! They do have bike lanes though, which is nice. I feel like Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love whenever I bike somewhere, and I like to use that time on my bike ride into Agape to pray for the kids.

It's unfortunate that its raining this week, because there are a lot of activities planned this week to celebrate Agape's 15 year anniversary! What a wonderful accomplishment. I feel so privileged to be able to spend time here, and be a small part of the mission of this place. It is so touching to watch the nannies interact with the kids, as they really have formed strong attachments to the children. It is such a warm, friendly environment, full of love and acceptance. I've enjoyed my days there so far, and even though I appreciate my days off, I find myself missing the little ones when I'm at the house.

Another question people have been asking is what have I been eating...I have been out to eat several times, which has been delicious (often meals are only a few dollars!) and when I eat at home, I eat simply. Fruit, toast, eggs, pasta, easy things like that. Of course, I bought cucumbers at the store the other day, and I still have my supply of trail mix & raisins! Whenever someone offers me something, I at least try it to be polite, so in all honesty I couldn't even tell you what all I have been eating because usually I don't know myself! My diet didn't include a lot of rice before I left home, but that is quickly changing here. 

Thanks to everyone who I've skyped with so far, it is so amazing to me that I'm able to keep in touch with so many through that program. I so appreciate everyone's continued support and prayers. I miss home at times, but am also excited to be here and to love on the children for a while. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity.

Agape Home...this view greets me as I bike in each day
And these smiling faces are there to greet me when I arrive!
We love bubbles!
The children commonly mistake my camera for another toy...charge!
Dancing along to the TV program
Another misconception is that the entertainment center is a jungle gym!
Riding in the back of a tuktuk...quite an adventure
You had to have known this was coming...can you say macro?? These are in my backyard
Rain can't keep me away from the night market OR my newfound favorite food...mangoes & sticky rice!
Yum yum yum.

2 comments:

  1. Jess,

    It is so great to continue to follow you on your journey. Your accounts of your time there bring goosebumps every time. It is easy to see your love for God and the little children flowing through your words, I can't imagine what the children feel interacting with you. God is definitely working through you, keeping you safe (and fed), and traveling with you. The children are absolutely precious. The little girl climbing up your leg in one picture made me "AWWWW" out loud. The children seem happy and I'm sure that's due in large part to the wonderful people like you there! I hope to skype with you soon, I want to hear all about the church service! It's amazing how God can do such amazing things and intertwine languages and cultures and create something beautiful. Hopefully you have seen a bit of a lull in the rain! Although wet, I'm sure it's pretty. Honestly, as awkward as this may sound, following your journey sitting at my desk in po-dunk nowhere has begun to restore my faith and remind me that God is so much bigger and so much more gracious that I tend to give him credit for. So, not only are you touching the hearts and lives of children in Thailand, but you are touching the hearts and reminding friends of how great God truly is. Thank you for that. I love you and miss you! Keep the updates coming and please remain safe! Skype soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kels,

    Thank you so much for your kind words! I feel like you're giving me way too much credit, but I am so glad that my experience is restoring your faith. It was very humbling to read your comment, it brought warmth to my heart. =) Our God is an awesome God! I definitely have been kept safe up to this point only through his provision. Unfortunately, the rain has not subsided, and our moo baan (neighborhood) is in danger of flooding...the water in the street is rising. I feel like I'm on Noah's ark or something! Whatever happens, it will all be part of the adventure! I'd LOVE to skype with you sometime, my skype name is jessica.frank422. Love & miss you & hope you're taking care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete