Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Chaos

Warmest Christmas greetings from Chiang Mai, my home for only 9 more days. Oh how time has flown! Although part of me was really sad to be missing out on Christmas at home with my family, being here for Christmas was an experience that I will never forget. I was able to skype with my family before the Christmas festivities at Agape started, which was nice. 

Christmas is a big deal at Agape Home. A BIG deal. Decorations are everywhere, music is played, festive red and green clothes are worn, and everybody eagerly anticipated the holiday. The celebration began with the annual Christmas show last week, where everybody performs something in front of the kids, nannies, staff, and many friends that come to join Agape for Christmas. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate to perform (this dates back to me refusing to go on stage to say 1 line during a church Christmas show when I was 3 years old). I was dreading that day, even had a bad dream about it beforehand, but it was actually not that bad, and if I'm being honest, kind of fun. There are no words to describe the Christmas show - over the top comes to mind, but I'll spare you the details. The thing to remember is that it is for the kids, and they had a blast.


The best part about the children's re-enactment of the Christmas story...look closely and see if you can find Elmo among the animals...hey, he could have been there, we don't know!
Surprise appearance by Alvin and the Chipmunks!
Tai kwon do demonstration

Buying presents for the number of kids at Agape seems like an incredibly overwhelming task. There are 90-something kids total, although some live over in Baan Jarawee (the Agape village), so the number is a bit less. The Baan Jarawee kids actually came to our house and other homes to sing Christmas carols - oh it was so precious! I made them peanut butter blossom cookies (my favorite Christmas cookies). 




But back to the presents...yikes. That being said, I have to say I am incredibly impressed with the system in place to make sure that each child feels special on Christmas. I helped wrap gifts (if nursing doesn't work out, I decided to pursue a job in a mall wrapping presents). It was so fun to be Santa's Little Helper. On Christmas Eve night, after games were played and we had gone to a late night church service, eaten pizza, etc...we finished putting gifts together and setting them out, resulting in about a 2 am bed time. Tradition is for people to spend the night at Agape, so I bunked up in the volunteer room, got a few hours of sleep, and was up with the kids around 6. 

Christmas morning was hectic but so much fun. A breakfast of toast and hot chocolate was shared, the reason for the season was discussed, and after that, presents. I helped one of the babies open her gifts...and by help, I mean I did it for her. She really didn't know what was going on, but she caught on to our excitement a bit. I've never seen so many happy kids. It was such a joyous occasion! 

Roomies @ Agape on Christmas Eve
Wait, vaseline and cotton balls all over your face WASN'T what you asked for for Christmas? Whoops.
Christmas morning...wide eyed and ready to open presents at 6am

The babies require a little help with their gifts...and by help, I mean I opened them for her and she played with the packaging! =)



Overwhelmed? Potentially.







I'm a sucker for this little man's fake smile. We have so much in common!
My Christmas was also made special by several incredibly thoughtful people back home. Thank you to my friend Mitch and his roommates for sending gifts for the kids. You guys are awesome! And thank you to the Tobik family for sending me treats for Christmas, that is always much appreciated! One time I got a text from an Agape staff member saying that I had another package and did I realize how spoiled I am? I replied that I prefer not to use the word spoiled, more like abundantly blessed!

While reading the Christmas story in Luke this year I read this verse with a new perspective: "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart (Luke 2.9)." These past few months, I have been blessed with a time to treasure in my heart. When I think about leaving these little ones, my heart aches, which I know will only intensify with my actual departure. These kids have taught me so much about how to love and how to live, and I am so grateful. This experience has been rich, deep, meaningful, and life changing...and I will always carry that with me, treasuring, and pondering it in my heart. 

I hope that your Christmas celebration was filled with as much hope, love, joy and peace as mine. As always, thank you for your love, support, and for still reading this blog. I am so grateful for a wonderful community of family and friends, and I look forward to seeing many of you stateside after January 4. Sending love, prayers, and blessings your way.

1 comment:

  1. From Rebecca:

    So happy to see pictures from this joyous day. You do such a good job documenting your time. Love you J-lady.

    ReplyDelete