Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Arrival Story

On the first day, I left Cleveland at 11:51 am, and arrived in Minneapolis safe and sound. I left Minneapolis around 3:10pm, on an 11+ hr flight to Tokyo. There was light, and there was darkness, the first day.

On the second day, I arrived in Tokyo and was immediately hit by a wall of heat - the temperature was only in the 70s but the humidity was unreal. My seatmate was luckily catching the same connecting flight to Bangkok. While in the security line, I realized I had forgotten about my full Nalgene and seeing nowhere to empty it...I chugged the whole thing before going through security! I arrived at the gate just in time to board the flight to Bangkok. There was light, and there was darkness, the end of the second day and it was good.

Third day...does this trip ever end??? I arrived in Bangkok late, around 11pm or so, and made it through customs/immigration with no problems. That was one of the things I was most worried about, but the guy didn't ask me any questions or anything. Going through security makes me nervous as well but they never stopped me or asked to search me further. God was watching out for me. I even sat next to a woman on my flight to Bangkok who was very helpful to me on what to expect. I spent the night in the Bangkok airport, with many others. I read, listened to my ipod, and contemplated the fact that I was really in Thailand.


My flight this morning was uneventful - in fact I think I slept as soon as we took off and when I woke up an hour later we were getting ready to land. My flight arrived a few minutes early, so I beat Laura (the volunteer coordinator). It was a nerve-wracking few minutes as I realized I knew no one, didn't speak the language, and was going to have to figure out some way of getting in touch with her if she didn't show up soon. She did show up only moments later though, with her two foster children along for the ride (so cute!) and the 4 girls from Texas that are going to be my housemates for a few weeks.

It's so surreal that I made it...it's been a long few days, but I felt your prayers along the way. Thanks for thinking of me, and keep the thoughts & prayers coming as I adjust to a completely different culture!

P.S. My neck pillow was a brilliant investment. Also, I like the concept of flying more than I like flying itself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment